Sorry! This hike is now closed for online registrations.
Trip length: 4 miles; 1,200 ft elevation gain. 3.5 hours
Intensity level: + 1 2 3 4 5 !
Where: Beacon, NY
When: May 9th, 9:00am - (about) 12:30pm. Check-in: 8:45am.
What a view! No visit to Beacon is complete without this hike. We'll take the best local routes, hitting all of the Mt Beacon highlights.
Mt. Beacon incline railway ruins & Casino Site
Firetower on South Mt. Beacon
- Views, Historic Ruins, Wildflowers
This is an active, small group Destination Hike. We'll break at the beautiful views, but we won't stop too often to listen to the birds or smell the flowers — we have places to go and things to see!
On this 4-mile hike, we'll pass by the now defunct Mt. Beacon incline railway and get a bird's-eye view of the city of Beacon at the old casino site, before heading to the recently restored Beacon Fire Tower for epic 360 views of the Hudson Valley. Even without climbing the tower, you can see New York City's skyline on clear days. If you do go up, you'll get a beautiful view of our final destination—the Beacon reservoir.
What You Get
- Confidence you're hiking the best route (without getting lost!)
- Local Knowledge about our destinations
- Answers when you ask "What's that?"
- The Inside Scoop on where to go—during, and after the hike.
- Freedom to look around and enjoy your experience, without worrying you will get lost
- Peace of mind hiking challenging trails with a licensed outdoor guide, trained in Wilderness First Aid
Terrain: Rocky w/ some technical areas and steep slopes. 4 miles, 1,200 ft of elevation gain and loss.
Stream Crossings: Several 'rock-hops.'
What to Wear
- Comfortable shoes w/ good grip on bottom. Waterproof preferred.
- Clothes you don't mind getting a little muddy
- Layers - t-shirt or tank, long-sleeved shirt, & sweater/ wool long-sleeved shirt
- Windbreaker &/or Waterproof jacket if there's the tiniest chance of rain
- Hat for sun protection on top of the mountain
What We Provide
- Eco-groovy snacks (as local, organic, & sustainable as possible)
- Bug repellant with DEET
- Group First Aid & Emergency Kit
- Knowledgeable, NYS-licensed guide
What to Bring
- Daypack or backpack
- 1.5 Liters of water
- Camera &/or cell phone
- Hiking poles
- Favorite snacks
By car: Parking information and detailed instructions will be sent by e-mail upon registration confirmation.
By train: Take Metro North Railroad's Hudson Line to the Beacon station. The trailhead is a 5-minute cab ride from the train station. Detailed instructions will be sent by e-mail upon registration confirmation.